Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Alice I have read finale post ;)

So after much fanfare for my thoughts about the past books. Here it is:

I really enjoyed reading Alice I have Been. It was a fun read and the author kept you interested throughout. Granted, that the world at the time was all Victorian and about purity, which if you were to think about it, gives women even more to gossip about over tea.

I thought that Mr. Dodgson was a little dodgy, but at the same time men at the time were not to show their affection to their wives or their children in public, he was different. He also did not have a wife, so I believe that gave him a little more leeway with women in society. I want to believe that he wasn't necessarily pedophile, but more intrigued on her innocence in the world and in life and enthralled by that more than anything. It was really sad that her mother and her sister always tries to chastise her ways, but I feel underneath they both wished that they could be more like Alice. Alice's older sister drove me up the wall, even when they were old ladies, not sure how you all felt about it.

I felt really sad for Alice when she finally realized she loved her husband cause it was a little late. It also reminded me a little of Hum Dil De Chuke Hain Sanam- yes, I had to bring in the Bollywood connection.

Had I written this immediately after I had finished the book, I would have a little more depth to the post, I do apologize for procrastinating. I would love to get a glimpse of society and its norms when Alice was growing up to get a better idea of her story and fully understand the implications of being an innocent child getting caught up in adult gossip. On the other hand, it still happens today, so really society hasn't really changed much since Alice's time.

I've already ready Cutting for Stones, which I did enjoy. I'll start commenting on everyone else's thoughts as you progress through the book.



No comments:

Post a Comment