Monday, February 28, 2011

The fancy schmancy text changes and crazy pictures

What did you guys think of all the font changes, pictures etc? I didn't really get anything extra from the images or from the font blurring together or from the "corrections" on some of the pages. What do you think the author was trying to do (other than appear edgy and cool) with those?

I think I'd give this book a 2.5/5. I was happier with the book in the beginning, but began to find it tedious and frustrating as the pages went along. I felt like the tie-together of the two stories (grandfather and grandchild) was flimsy at the end, and I don't think I felt the emotions I was supposed to when they buried the letters together. I agree with Vaishali about what she thought regarding the relationship between the two grandparents. I still can't wrap my head around the 'something' and 'nothing' places business, and the grandfather's refusal to speak. It is true what Vaishali said, it was like he was wallowing in his own misery! He let himself spiral away- as exemplified by the fact that he 'lost' his words. Each word he lost was him letting himself be defeated by grief and as soon as he lost all his words, he just roamed the world as a defeated shell of a man. Of course he could never live again, he gave up the battle and will to live so long ago!

More later, but these are my thoughts for now!

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, what the heck was up with the 'something' and 'nothing' places? I absolutely HATE it when authors try so hard to make the stuff in their story so overly poetic that it makes NO FREAKIN SENSE. I hate high-brow, wannabe intellectual crap like that. Now I'm really angry.

    ReplyDelete